The Kenworth W900 is a type of cab-trucks that the Kenworth division of PACCAR manufactures. PACCAR Inc. is an American Fortune 500 company. It is among the world’s largest manufacturer of medium and heavy-duty trucks. Apart from Kenworth, the other categories of trucks that PACCAR manufactures are Peterbilt and DAF.
The W900 was introduced by Kenworth in 1961. It came as a replacement for the 5-year old 900 series. The W900 came with several design improvements over its predecessor. The cab roof height was increased along with that of the windows. The windshield panes were also mounted together. The company also increased the width of the radiator to enable better engine cooling.
The W900 is available in three variants – Splendor, Diamond, and Diamond/VIT.
Features of Kenworth W900
The Kenworth W900 is a perfect combination of the latest technology, top-level engineering, and classic style. The W900 established the fact that heavy-duty trucks can also look visually appealing while being fully functional. It has several other advantages as well. In short, it is a never-before-seen package of utility and beauty.
The Kenworth W900 comes loaded with a host of attractive features, both in the cab as well as a sleeper. All the features are not available in every variant though. However, here we will take a look at some of the premier features of the W900 in general, in both the cab and the sleeper.
- Instrument panel along with black trim
- Side and back panels are upholstered with diamond-tufted material
- The floor mat is the black rubber
- Inside sun visors in both the driver and rider sides
- The Center console comes with accessory power outlets
- Under dash floor lighting
- The dome lamps on both the right and left sides are mounted above the doors
- The tool compartment has two utility lights
- The button color matches that of the primary lining
- Emergency exit door at the right-hand side
- Sleeper curtains are available
- Black rubber floor mats are available
- Hanging closets are available, along with open shelves
- Digital clocks are available
- Under-bunk storage facility
The W900 comes equipped with the PACCAR MX-13 engine. This engine is among the market leaders in its segment. It is as powerful as it is energy-efficient. The PACCAR MX-13 delivers a whopping 510 hp and 1,850 pound-feet of torque. These provide the engine with the muscle power that is needed to operate the W900 without any glitches.
Certain factors are behind the leading efficiency level of the PACCAR MX-13 engines. They are:
- The components of the engine are lightweight but high-strength
- Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), hand-in-hand with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) results in almost zero-emission from these engines
Kenworth W900 Models:
- W900 (1961 to 1966)
W900A (1967 to 1982)
K100 (1961 to 2004)
- W900B (1982-continue)
Also, the high-end technology used in the engine design process ensures that the noise levels are drastically reduced. This makes for a much pleasurable driving experience. And with the PACCAR MX-13 engines powering their W900, the owners are certain of the following benefits:
- Servicing requirements come at much longer intervals
- The uptime lasts for a higher duration
- The operating costs are significantly reduced
- The resale value of these trucks, as a result, is much higher than most of its peers.
Pros and Cons of the Kenworth W900
The Kenworth W900 truck scores are quite high on the popularity charts. Drivers swear by it and most won’t shift to any other truck once they have driven a Kenworth W900. And it’s not a surprise – considering the fact that the W900 comes loaded with a host of attractive features.
Having said that, there are certain areas of improvement in the vehicle. While that doesn’t take away anything from this awesome truck, these improvements can raise the performance levels several notches higher. Below, we will take a look at a few pros and cons of the Kenworth W900.
- The W900 ensures a smooth and easy driving experience
- It enjoys a high resale value, like most of the PACCAR models
- Cutting-edge manufacturing technology ensures that outside noises and rattling effects don’t reach the cabin – making it quiet inside
- The air ride system technology that was spearheaded by Kenworth make sure that the suspension is of a premium quality
- The finish quality is excellent, thereby ensuring the attractive looks of the vehicle
- The turning radius of the W900 has a fair room for improvement
- The second step of the truck is placed at a level that is not comfortable. For drivers of shorter stature, this is unsettling to an extent
- The hood is quite heavy. It might result in stress cracks before long.
To sum it up, the Kenworth W900 has many more advantages to its favor as compared to areas of improvement. This vehicle is worth every dollar spent on it and you are looking at long-term benefits accruing to you once you own this beauty.
Kenworth Truck Company
10630 N.E 38th PL
Kirkland, WA 98033
Phone Number: +1-425-828-5000