A truck driver’s job is not for the faint-hearted. They put in 8-9 hours on the wheel every day. They clock up several hundred kilometers and drive through deserted terrains daily. The interstate highways are in excellent driving condition, for sure. But driving those huge trucks that weigh several hundred tons is no easy job.
However, truck drivers around the country perform this tough job every day. And they do it with admirable precision. Truck drivers perform a very critical role. They help to deliver essentials from one place to the other – essentials like food & grocery, medicines, clothes, and hundreds of other items.
Every day, we go to the supermarket and other stores to buy the stuff that we need. If we don’t get what we want, we become irritated. But who are those brave souls that facilitate the timely deliveries? They are truck drivers. So, it will not be an exaggeration if we say that truck drivers don’t just drive a vehicle – they are also the drivers of the nation’s economy.
While they ensure timely deliveries of essential items across the country, it is of high importance that the drivers should stay safe during the course of their job. They drive along miles and miles of open roads. It’s quite possible for fatigue to step in, resulting in a momentary lapse of concentration. But that small lapse can result in a disaster – both for the truck driver as well as others on the road.
Also, the open roads can sometimes invite speeding tendencies. While we all need an element of thrill in our lives, it might turn nasty on the road. So, that is another area which the truck drivers need to be careful about.
So, the truck drivers – the inseparable parts of the country’s economic process – would surely benefit by keeping the following suggestions in mind, when they drive:
- Please don’t drive too fast – As the saying goes, “speed thrills but kills.” It’s understandable that the truck drivers are under lots of pressure to maintain timelines for the deliveries. But driving too fast to maintain time can turn deadly. Even small accidents can turn fatal due to excessive speeding. And it’s always tough to control a giant truck, especially if you are driving too fast. So please stay within the prescribed speed limits.
- Please be defensive when you drive – It’s critical for you, as a truck driver, to always be on high alert while driving. You need to be on the lookout for possible road hazards and your response to the same needs to be thought out as well. Because, if such a disaster happens while you were unprepared, you might not get time to react.
- Please avoid driving when drowsy – Staying alert and feeling sleepy can’t happen at the same time. Truck drivers are at the wheel for long stretches of time. Fatigue can catch up as sometimes they might not get enough sleep. So, if you are feeling sleepy at the wheel, pull over and catch a quick nap. Follow it up with a hot coffee and a splash of water to your face – and you are ready to go again.
- Please watch out for the weather – As a truck driver, you need to keep yourself updated about weather forecasts. Stay alert for heavy rain and/or snow predictions and opt for an alternate route, if possible. If you can’t do that, then wait at a proper place till the weather conditions improve.
- Please avoid the use of mobile during driving – If you feel you need to take or make a particular call that is urgent, please pull over and do so. But please avoid calling or texting while you are driving.
Truck drivers – you are a very important component of our nation’s wealth generation and economic progress. The economy and society immensely value your contributions and selfless service. So, please take care of yourselves and adopt necessary safety measures while you are driving.
Here are the best safety quotes for Truck Drivers
If you know you are driving to your death – would you still drive so fast?: Safety quotes